Ben Tellez' Middle Name Is "Points"

Ben Tellez enjoys lines—the foul line and three-point line

There are those who pop for 30 points and then settle down to a quieter 10 or maybe 12 per game. But a coach just doesn't know from game-to-game what scoring output to expect from these type of players. Then there are those who score steadily, say in the 20+ points per game range and rarely deviate. A coach knows what to expect, counts on it and can plan around such.

6-foot-2 Diablo Valley College (DVC) talent Ben Tellez is the latter. Here are his scoring totals, working backwards in his last 10 games: 23, 25, 17, 16, 20, 27, 27,12, 17, 26 on a team that averages 76 points a contest. His average of 21 points per game during that stretch has him approaching providing close to one third of his team's points per game. Tellez is currently third in the state for three pointers made in all of California junior colleges and 14th in total points.

As Diablo Valley College Coach Ervin Anderson explained, "going into this year, I knew he would be our best scoring option so we designed the offense to get him space and put defenses in a bind centered around the fact that he can shoot and drive."

Teammates prosper when so much attention is directed on one player.

Check out the shooting form on a Tellez jumper

So who and what is Ben Tellez?

It was soccer, baseball and basketball for him until a turning point in the seventh grade. "It was then that I started playing AAU ball and basketball just took over." Asked to name his top skills, Tellez offered, "definitely my shooting ability. I've put hours and hours into doing reps, working on my form. I wasn't the tallest or the fastest in high school but shooting well got me on the court." Then when Tellez graduated from College Park High, he simply continued his education and hoops playing across the street at DVC.

What Tellez supplies

His numbers this season are 19.0 points per game on 43%, 42% and 87% shooting, with 238 of his 413 shot attempts being treys. He averages close to two assists a contest as well as 3.7 rebounds. Do remember his shooting numbers are being accomplished when he is the foremost target of opposing defenses every game.

Anderson offered, "It is important to have faith in a player that rarely has an off night. Ben has had small stints of being off but you can let him reset and get back out there and he ends up with four made 3s."

As for any changes in his game from last season, he offered, "I'm more confident off the dribble now and this really helps in playmaking for my teammates. In high school, I was much more a catch-and-shoot guy. Another thing is my free throw shooting was a lot lower last season." His 111 attempts at the foul line lead his DVC team. The closest teammate stands at 74 free throw attempts.

More excellent shooting form

Anderson noted, "Ben is seeing the best defender every night so recognizing how teams are playing him and moving without the ball has been a large part of his growth. We have also made him the point on several plays so he can get screened and set teammates up to get wide open shots."

Regarding leadership, Tellez said, "yes, I would say I'm a leader. I'm not the most talkative or the loudest but I lead by example and my teammates pick up on that."

With both his parents being teachers (Mom in high school and Dad in elementary school), Tellez sports a 3.9 grade point average, making academics another element his next college coach need not have any concern.

He sees himself positioned at the two spot at the four-year college level but "with some off season work, maybe I could play some at the one."

In his best basketball moment, Tellez buried a game-winning trey versus Santa Rosa Junior College last year that "sent us into the playoffs. I got an open shot and hit it."

Tellez credits both his parents for their involvement and assistance along the way in his basketball journey. "My Dad and I would go outside and play a lot of one-on-one and my Mom was always driving me to practices and games. It was a huge part of life for me and I'm thankful."

He's looking to major in kinesiology—"continuing on from Diablo Valley College"—with the possibility of entering the coaching field some time later down the road because "I love being around the sport."

A Cali and West Coast Guy

With recruiting, his parameters are "I'd prefer to stay in California but I'm open to the West Coast."

Every team needs a good percentage shooter/high scorer. Ben Tellez fills that bill. There are a lot of four-year colleges in California, let alone Oregon and Washington. Time will soon tell as the next signing period opens on April 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment