Ohlone College Coach Jordan Lee in (Mostly) His Own Words

Ohlone College men's basketball Coach Jordan Lee is successful in his realm, turning around a moribund program, one that finished 2-25 the year before his arrival to a remarkable 18-11 in his initial season. The newfound prosperity of the Renegades powered the achievement of a state playoff berth. Ohlone's record fell to 14-15 this season but still earned another entry into the state playoffs, making such now a program norm. At least under Lee.

But this recent flourishing of hoops in Fremont tells but a portion of who Lee is as he would be successful in anything he pursues simply because of a tenacious desire to work on 'problems' until they are resolved. There's no quit in him, very little ego and the precious ability to laugh at himself. Just by maintaining his values and how he interacts with all in his orbit, any prediction of further thriving is an easy given. Combine all these elements with his B.A. degree in Public Policy and a fast track position in the U.S. State Department would not be out of the question.

So why the avenue of coaching for Lee? "Coaching is a calling for me, it's to see greatness in these kids and love them, encourage them, mentor them so that they can see it themselves. There's been no greater feeling than to see these boys turn into men and see that I might have played a small part in that."

His entry into that livelihood began while he was still playing professionally in Hong Kong, a tenure that lasted three seasons abroad. "One of the benefits of coaching there was getting more gym time," Lee explained, always an attractive lure to any basketballer. Once done with play-for-pay, Lee returned home to coach the Alameda Vipers AAU squad. He simultaneously landed a position assisting first Myron Jordan and later Robert Bishop at College of Alameda. "I told him (Jordan) that I was willing to sweep floors and do the laundry in order to earn an assistant coach position." Then three years assisting at D2 Cal State East Bay were followed by two seasons doing the same with D1 UC Riverside (notice the step up with each move) before the Ohlone opportunity to head his own program and team appeared.

Giving Credit Where It is Due

Lee credited many in the basketball coaching field for helping him along in his journey noting retired coach and college administrator Myron Jordan, College of Alameda Head Coach Robert Bishop, Cal State San Bernardino Head Coach Gus Argenal, Cal State East Bay Head Coach Bryan Rooney, DeUndrae Perteete, Cal State East Bay Assistant Mikey Eggleton, Dominican Assistant Matt Davis, Loyola Marymount Assistant Coach Daniel Eberhardt, UC Riverside Head Coach Mike Magpayo, Sacramento State Head Coach Mike Czepil and longtime college basketball assistant coach Jeff Hironaka in particular. He keeps in touch with many of them.

"They taught me how to work" and "showed me the way," Lee modestly explained. "I'm a product of them."

Lee's long time Ohlone assistants are also critical to the program. "I’m lucky that I’ve had Nate Millheim and Terrence Broussard on my staff my entire time at Ohlone College. I tell them as often as I can how thankful I am for them because we could not be successful without them. Each brings something unique and different to the team. They’re irreplaceable."

So what is Lee's basketball and life philosophy? It begins with something he learned from reading about success from UCLA Coach Mick Cronin. "Caring, because players have to know their coach cares about them." The foremost factor here is this allows for criticism because the player knows his coach has his best interest in mind despite sometimes offering challenging and adverse feedback. 

"It's so important to demonstrate to your players what a growth mindset is," according to Lee. "It's about overcoming your boundaries. I couple (being) gracious and kind by calling my players on evenings and weekends to check in with them. We also plan events (usually involving eating food) because team culture is important. There is a time to laugh and they need to see that I'm human."

"Knowing that you matter to somebody can be life-changing," Lee continued. "So while I challenge players, I also love on them. I believe if I treat my players well, the basketball will fall into place."

On an intriguing note, Lee offered "I've never kicked a player off my teams" and "I've found the most rewarding players are those with baggage because when you get those guys committed (to the team), man, that's special."

If the problem(s) or issue(s) cannot be resolved, Lee explained "I'll tell a player that 'maybe I'm not the best coach for you' and I'll always help any of my players to find a new coach. How do you get burned by doing that?'"

Lee recalled a rough patch when his drawing up plays to win at the end of close games failed to launch four consecutive times. "I felt I was not good enough for them and I apologized to the team to let the players know. That night, three of my sophomores called me to encourage me and said 'no, we let you down.' It meant so much to me because they rallied around me to show how much they cared. They appreciated and cared back. When they see you cry, they give you a hug. Players pour back into you what you pour into them."

Ultimately, "there is so much to learn and grow for me and I ask my players to do the same."

Asked how he stays fresh during a long season that can consist of 30-something contests, not even counting practices plus road trips. His answer: "Being young helps," he laughed. "I find fulfillment in my work and my staff, family and friends are great support systems." Lee also keeps a journal as a means of self reflection.

Lee with assistants Nate Millheim and Terrence Broussard

So, if not coaching, what would Lee be doing? He recalled enjoying working in the Riverside office of a local state politician utilizing his public policy degree and added that work in the national Environmental Protection Agency seems compelling as well as is being in a think tank which allows for a drill down  focus on subjects. But any path to pursue is always to help people. It's absolutely worth noting that Lee's mother is a teacher as is his uncle, his sister is a nurse and his father is a physical therapist.

Born in Oakland, growing up in Alameda, graduating from Alameda High, then to UC Riverside for a Public Policy B.A., playing overseas followed by a Master's in Physical Education and Exercise Science from Azuza Pacific, is a fascinating crucible, one that has molded him into who he is today.

For some time, Lee's mother has used the term "diamond in the rough" as a descriptive family joshing for her son. Lee now replies with "at some point, you have to call me a diamond, Mom." But as Lee stated, "She had a belief in me before I had it in myself."

All joking aside, if there were ever any doubters, none remain who don't believe in the current iteration of Jordan Lee. He is someone people want to be around, whether in the role of friend, coach or mentor because Lee's desire for the development and success of those around him equals if not surpasses that of the individuals themselves. Proximity to Lee means you will learn as well as grow, all in the right manner. Indeed, it may take a village to raise a young person but you definitely want Lee to be one of those villagers.