Ahmad Jeffries Is a Plus Shooter & Defender

Jeffries celebrating another success

6-foot-3 sophomore Ahmad Jeffries is really different. We all are certainly to various degrees but he carries his personal singularity over to his chosen profession. Attending Columbia College in Sonora, his total of 107 made treys this season (on 39% accuracy) led the California community college ranks. That feat obviously stands out but he uniquely paired it with 76 steals. It's extremely rare that shooters in basketball are also plus defenders and certainly not to the degree of Jeffries' brilliance. Add in a well-rounded 110 rebounds and 76 assists and his contributions on the court stand out even more. He earned Central Valley Conference First Team honors.

Why is Jeffries so radiant in his shooting and pilfering the ball? His accuracy from long distance is a talent that he has possessed since a young age. "I was inspired by (NBA players) Steph Curry, Trae Young and James Harden and I led the state of North Carolina in made threes as a high school junior and senior." He credits his steals totals to "taking pride on defense plus my IQ and awareness." Anyone watching him play will note the high number of deflections he creates and he often turns those into grabbing possession of the ball.

A participant in each of the major sports as a youth, every one but basketball eventually dropped away. Why? "Basketball stuck to me and (the late) Kobe Bryant has been my favorite athlete for as long as I can remember."

Jeffries at the foul line

As for influences, Jeffries noted "my Uncle L who I first went to watch play basketball when I was three or four and that's when I got the idea of going professional. Plus, my grandfather Larry Jeffries who played college football.

To a question about leadership, Jeffries offered, "Yes, I am a leader on the team. Coach (Rob Hoyt) came to us (the few returning sophomores) and said we needed to work on leading because we had so many new guys.? So what does Jeffries do? "I use my high energy and positive feedback to keep my teammates up but you have to know your teammates first and how they react to what."

Jeffries dribbling to the hoop

Regarding a best basketball moment, Jeffries explained, "I have quite a few." He chose "my game-winning shot when I was a senior in high school. It was a home game and we played a good team and hung in there until the end. I had a couple of cousins run on the court after the game because they were so excited."

Jeffries specifically wanted to "offer thanks to my Mom, for sure, because it was just me and her growing up" although he noted his grandparents and an aunt and uncle as being in their lives." Also, "I appreciate my girlfriend for supporting me through my journey as well."

With recruiting, "I'll go where the best opportunity is" but he added "it would be nice to play on the East Coast to see family."

He'll graduate this spring with a, A.A. degree in Social Sciences and that is the area in which he wants to earn his B.A.

Jeffries maneuvering to the basket once more

About where he sees himself positioned on the court at the next level, Jeffries said, "I assume off the ball. I'll hunt threes because I shoot them at a pretty good position." He used the phrase 'three and D' as his coin of the realm on the court.

Who can't use a high level long distance marksman who is also a plus on the defensive end?

No comments:

Post a Comment