Will Perkins Heading to Colby College

6-foot-5, 185 Will Perkins has made the call to attend Maine's Colby College, a Little Ivy college founded in 1813 with an enrollment of around 2,000. Why that choice for this University High student?

Besides the lure of Colby's prestigious academic reputation, fit with the basketball playing style is the primary reason. "The system is right for me" Perkins said. "They play fast and shoot a lot of threes. I loved my visit as the guys were great."

But how does a Bay Area prospect end up 3,000 miles away from home for college? "I was at a Yale basketball camp (during the summer) and the Colby head coach (Damien Strahorn) texted me. I sent him film of myself and then visited the campus. Perkins also noted that "six or seven years ago, a University High student attended Colby" so a relationship of sorts was already established.

So what is Strahorn and Colby getting with Perkins coming aboard? Perkins modestly offered I'm 6-foot-5 and can defend all five positions here at University. I can also hit shots and play on and off the ball." He is also athletic and displays a well-rounded set of skills. Plus, he runs track for University.

Perkins' athletic genes are quite the mix as his mother played water polo in high school while his father played baseball as did Perkins early in his sporting endeavors.

Who does Perkins thank for assistance during his basketball journey? "My Mom and Dad for making this all possible. I really appreciate (University Coach) Randy Bessolo for putting the ball in my hands and letting me be creative. Plus, Aidan Coffino and Alex Smith who have helped immensely. Since the third grade, I've been with the Bay City Warriors." The latter is remarkable considering these current times of players moving from team to team so frequently.

As for his best basketball moments, Perkins recalled "in the second game of the year last year I hit a game-winning layup to defeat Sacred Heart Prep 52-50" and "two nights ago getting a win at Archbishop Riordan." University achieved a 10 point differential, 73-63, on the road against a Riordan squad loaded with talent.

"School comes first. I take my academics seriously" as Perkins explained his academic bent. He sports a 3.6 grade point average and earned his way into an academic distinguished college. He isn't sure what his major will be as yet but wants to explore computer science, engineering and economics as possibilities.

Perkins' hoops versatility will likely allow him to be utilized at multiple positions by Colby, as is his want. But first comes his final season at University.

No comments:

Post a Comment