Brandon Gibson Jr., the Unsung Star of Sacramento

Gibson is glad to see you

6-foot-5, 185, 2024 prospect Brandon Gibson Jr. of Monterey Trail High is an anomaly, in a good way. The wing/guard can go inside with his strength and and punish smaller defenders. He can also enter the paint and out-quick those equal to him in size. He's simply a mismatch for almost every opponent.

Currently scoring 21.2 points, grabbing 6.7 rebounds and dishing out 4.9 assists per game, he's a multiple threat. Asked to detail his best skills on the court, Gibson Jr. offered, "my playmaking is best because I really like to get my teammates involved and I'm also a three-level scorer."

Gibson heading to the basket

It wasn't viewing any NBA or college stars that got him started but rather "watching my older cousins on the court and my Dad who played in high school" as influences. Add in "my peers" and that's his troika of influences getting him into hoops. What's interesting is the various football coaches who have attempted to persuade Gibson Jr. to switch over to the gridiron to no avail.

Gibson Jr. views himself as acting in a leading capacity on the court. "On my team, I see myself as a leader and I work to get the best out of my teammates. I go into every game to win."

Collegiately, the feedback he has received indicates he'll be positioned in the backcourt. "With my overall game and passing ability, I'll play the one and the two."

Taking aim at the free throw line

He cited his best basketball moment as "last year when we beat Grant (High) at the buzzer and won league with Grant." Both finished with 10-2 records. But Monterey Trail currently sports an unblemished 8-0 record and ranks third in the California Division One rankings. "We look good and we're trying to sweep league," Gibson Jr. said.

He offered thanks to "my Dad, my trainers, Coach Ryan and (his current head coach) Coach (Robert) Fields", for aiding him on his basketball journey.

Gibson is ready to make a move

As for recruiting, "Fresno Pacific, Northwest Nazarene (in Idaho) and Chico State are interested in me." Each has offered. Gibson Jr. is seeking to remain close enough to home so that family and friends can see him play. He will be majoring in kinesology with the hopes of becoming a physical therapist or an athletic trainer.

Seeing a young man beginning to receive the respect and attention he deserves makes this world just a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment