Theo Lamb Finds a Fit

6-foot-8, 220 Theo Lamb of St. Ignatius College Prep knows where he is going and what he is getting into with his choice of Babson College in Massachusetts.

The heralded Babson hoops mentor Stephen Brennan is in his 29th year with the DIII program so he isn't going anywhere soon. The team wins a lot more games than it loses and a culture of success is ingrained in the players. Plus, the team's offense is run through the center position which is where Lamb will likely be positioned so he'll be playing a pivotal role for his team which won a national championship in 2017.

So how did Lamb connect with Babson being 3,000 miles apart? It all began with a text from Brennan to Lamb. The latter stayed in touch and took two summer visits and one in the fall to see the campus and explore the strong academics of the Little Ivy school which was founded in 1919 and has less than 3,000 students, and the hoops program.

The Wall Street Journal recently named Babson the 10th Best College in the United States and No. 1 in career preparation as well as for the 27th consecutive time, U.S. News & World Report named Babson College the No. 1 undergraduate school for entrepreneurship.

"The coaches were great and I saw myself being part of an strong academic program that would lead to getting the job I want." With basketball, "I don't play for myself. I can shoot the ball but I like passing and getting everyone involved." That philosophy is in alignment with the Babson offense.

Lamb will be enrolled in Babson's business school which requires two years of learning the basics before settling on a specific direction which will likely be marketing for Lamb. He sports a 3.7 grade point average and he has taken AP and college classes.

Giving Thanks

So how did Lamb reach the level in basketball of being recruited and earning a scholarship? "My Dad played an important role in aiding me during my rehabilitation from injuries. He swam at UC Davis. Plus, I've trained with Bryan Thomasson and Aidan Coffino since the third grade. They have taught me so much as has St. Ignatius Coach Jason Greenfield."

Regarding leadership, Lamb is a captain at SI and "I try to get my teammates talking and I'll do things like jogging between drills as an example for others to emulate."

As to why the choice of basketball, Lamb offered, "my Dad didn't press me to play any one sport. Early on, I played some baseball but found it kind of slow and some soccer but I liked the fast pace of basketball."

Best Moments

Asked to detail his best basketball moments, Lamb cited last year's Bruce-Mahoney matchup between Sacred Heart and Saint Ignatius. "We killed" in a 78-58 victory, according to Lamb. He also noted a Bay City AAU game against a Utah team where the latter scored on a tough layup late in the game but "Jake Rodriguez came down, passed to me in the corner and I hit a game-winning three. My team mobbed me."

He's looking to perform similar feats for Babson.

No comments:

Post a Comment