Yatayn Anderson Does It All

Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) guard Yatyn Anderson understands what he does well, focuses his approach on those elements and contributes in multiple ways. He's 6-foot-2, 190 and averaged 9.8 points for Coach Craig McMillian but shot a highly respectable 44% overall (48% in conference) , 44% overall (49% in conference) and 84% respectively, indicating more points are contained within him if and when needed (he attempted just 176 shots in 30 contests). Anderson also contributed 3.6 rebounds alongside 2.4 assists for every turnover. His all-around contributions earned him Big 8 All Conference status. "I feel like I am one of the best," he said.

McMillian called his sophomore "a team leader, efficient offensively and a great defender." So much so regarding the latter that Anderson incurred just 64 fouls in 30 contests despite his prowess on defense.

What Anderson Does Best

Asked what he does best, Anderson offered, "my defense, driving and getting to the rim strong and my shooting." He came to Santa Rosa after stints at Las Positas College and Diablo Valley College "because I wanted to be on a winning team and Coach McMillian has a reputation for being very successful."

As for leadership, Anderson said, "I do see my self as a leader. I'm one of the oldest people on the team and one of the better players. He stressed "to be a leader you have to be vocal and also have to demonstrate what coach is wanting us to do. I feel you have to do both, doing what you say."

It easily could have been either tennis or football for Anderson since his mother played the former and his father the latter in college. Anderson was involved in both plus hoops but eventually basketball won out. Why hoops? "I played all three for as long as I can remember but I enjoy playing basketball the most."

Anderson set to bust a move

What he considers his best basketball moment Is "beating College of San Mateo in the first round of the playoffs this season. I had never been on a team that won a playoff game before." Down by nine at the half, Santa Rosa came back to nab a 95-94 homecourt victory as Anderson tallied 18 points, shooting 13-15 at the foul line, plus four assists. Downing Diablo Valley College, also at home this season, also ranks right up there. Anderson scored 20 points as well as grabbing six boards and issuing six assists against his former team as Santa Rosa again came from behind -- a seven point halftime deficit -- to win 72-61.

Anderson cited both Jalen Brunson of the New York Knicks and Mike Conley of the Minnesota Timberwolves as influences on his game. Anderson sees himself as a combo point guard and shooting guard with a four year school.

His Major and Beyond

He sports a 3.3 grade point average and is seeking to major in journalism at the next level. "If journalism isn't available, I'll major in communications," Anderson explained, adding that he enroll in journalism for grad school. Sportscasting and podcasting are his employment interests.

Anderson thanked a foursome of individual for their assistance during his basketball journey. The quartet being "my Mom for all her help, my first coach James Giacokmazzi of Las Positas College, Ervin Anderson of Diablo Valley College and Coach McMillian because he helped me succeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment