Tallis Toure Is Heading to The Farm

Yes, 6-foot-11 Tallis Toure of West Park High (near Sacramento) hit the jackpot when Washington State Coach Kyle Smith transitioned from Pullman, Washington to Stanford to be the new men's basketball coach. That's because earlier Tallis had accepted an offer from Coach Smith to join him at WSU. But as Smith set up residence on The Farm, he invited Toure to do the same once the big declared he was no longer committed to the Cougars.

The jackpot reference isn't actually applicable because it takes little effort and time to win a lottery jackpot. Other than picking out a set of numbers and purchasing a ticket, it's all chance. Toure was able to make the move to Stanford because he earned a grade point average between 3.9 and 4.0 (one 'B') during his high school tenure. Now that feat involved hundreds of hours of study and classroom time so credit is due to Toure for the persistence and preparation that earned him entry into the most prestigious university in the west and beyond. He was prepared when the opportunity presented itself.

A Phone Call While Airborne

So how, when and where did Toure receive the fantastic news? During the recent Spring break in late March/early April, Toure was on a plane to visit his mother in Arizona. His phone rang. He looked at the caller's ID and Stanford Assistant Coach Wayne Hunter was on the other end. As a Washington State University assistant coach, Hunter had conversed previously by phone with Toure when the young man was in the process of signing with the Cougars. Toure greeted Hunter and quickly learned Smith and Company wanted him to join them at Stanford—"We want to bring you along with us." Now Toure would be a member of the Stanford men's basketball program as well as a student progressing towards a Computer Science degree in the classroom.

Toure looking intent during a huddle

That call came soon, three days after Smith announced he was moving to Stanford. During those 72 hours, Toure recalled, "I gave some thought to will it happen? I also thought about my chances with my other options."

A Quiet Celebration

Once the conversation concluded, Toure felt like celebrating. "I was euphoric because all my work had ended with something I'm very happy with and my parents could come see me play." Plus, Toure had met with and was familiar the now current Stanford coaching staff during his foray to Washington State. Toure's option's for celebrating were limited because of his being in flight. Apparently quietly and on the interior described his party of one, with thanks to many.

How will he be used considering 7-foot-1, 250 pound senior-to-be Maxime Raynaud is returning upfront. "In Coach Smith's presentation, they see me as not a pure back-to-the basket player."

Toure with one of his many dunks this season

His Development

Toure also stressed that "I am not the same player as a year ago. 12 months ago, I couldn't dribble nearly as well as now and I wasn't as athletic as I am today. I'm doing skills training with my trainer Nate Garth and also strength training. My better athleticism directly translates to my game and allows me to play at a higher level. Getting better with my skills and body has given me confidence."

He is adamant about his leaving Stanford with a degree. "That part of the deal with my Dad. He wants me to have a master's degree or higher."

It's not exactly sticking one's neck out to predict Master's degree or more will be affixed after Toure's name in the not so distant future. Dreams have the knack of becoming realities for Tallis Toure.

No comments:

Post a Comment