Isaiah Wong Ready To Lead Embry-Riddle

5-foot-10 Isaiah Wong of Dublin High is certainly capable of burying a critical shot. But the best use of him and what he prefers is to create opportunities for his teammates. Now he is taking his myriad of talents to Prescott, Arizona, specifically Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. An NAIA institution, ERAU resides in the same California Pacific Conference as such California schools as UC Merced, Cal Maritime and Simpson University, and will move to the Golden State Athletic Conference next season.

ERAU Coach Ben Tucker tweeted Wong after watching him and his Dublin teammates play at the Damian Classic tournament down in the Los Angeles area in late December. That ties into the old adage that 'you never know who is in the stands watching on a particular night.' The pair talked for a few days, then had a more serious Zoom talk around the end of December/early January. Wong committed in early March.

Wong at his Dublin High signing ceremony

One of the reasons for Tucker's interest in Wong is "he didn't have a point guard specified on the team last season,"according to Wong. 'Go where you fill a need' is another oft-heard recruiting maxim and it certainly encompasses what Wong offers and what Tucker needs. The pairing appears to be a good marriage, one mutually beneficial.

Asked what he does best on the court, Wong said, "run the point, driving and drawing opponents, setting up my teammates for shots. I'm a playmaker."

Wong at the foul line where he shoots 89%

Per Wong, a large batch of new recruits are coming in to ERAU next season and he is looking forward to establishing connections with all. "I'm sociable and I look forward to building relationships with my new teammates." He sees this as an important obligation of being the point on any team.

Regarding leadership, Wong offered "I definitely consider myself a leader and I feel like my teammates (at Dublin High) look up to me, especially being one of the seniors on the team. I'm big on leading by example like being the first player at the gym and the last to leave. I'm not the type to yell at my teammates as I’m not a very emotional player but I do look to provide constructive criticism during practice or games if I feel like something can be done better."

Wong offered thanks for their assistance on his basketball journey to "my parents and brother for all their sacrifices, (Dublin High) Coach (Tom) Costello, (Dublin High Assistant) Coach Jerome (Nelson), and all my earlier coaches."

Entrepreneurship

Wong will be a Business major "with the goal of becoming an entrepreneur."

Between now and the start of school, "I'll be working out, lifting, getting stronger because I'll have to defend my position. I want to be in great shape because Prescott is in the mountains, with elevation." Prescott has an elevation of 5,400 feet and actually receives snow in the winter.

Wong averaged 7.5 points per game this season, shooting 43% overall, 32% from long distance and 89% at the foul line. He dished out 122 assists and grabbed 47 steals.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University will absolutely have a point guard on its roster for the 2024-25 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment