Takai Emerson-Hardy Takes His Success to Idaho

Patience has proven a virtue for 6-foot-7 Takai Emerson-Hardy, that plus continued hard work and improvement, with his eye always fixed on the prize. He now is headed to the University of Idaho to play for new Coach Alex Pribble after garnering and accepting a scholarship offer. Receiving initial contact from the Vandal staff in late April/early May, "they showed the most love of those who were pursuing me," Emerson-Hardy explained.

What Will He Bring?

"I can play multiple positions, right now the three and the four so I'm not put in a box," Emerson-Hardy explained. "It all boils down to who I can defend (at the college level)? I'll be bringing a winning mentality and giving 110%. I was raised like that and it definitely comes from my Mom. I'm versatile, someone who can shoot it (finishing at 38% from three-point range this season) and put the ball on the ground." Asked about his vaunted athletic explosiveness and lateral quickness, he offered, "I'll definitely give them that."

Another element arriving with Emerson-Hardy will be his strength of character. "I hate losing. As a kid, I used to cry after every loss."

The Past and Present

After a stellar career (State All League, Monticello Empire League MVP, tied school record of 24 rebounds in a game, 2x Section Champion, 3x Monticello Empire League champion) at Vanden High in the Bay Area, Emerson-Hardy drew attention and interest but decided his interests would best be served by attending a post-grad school for a season.

"The Sunrise Christian (a prep hoops power located in Kansas which was the national runner up with a 33-4 record this season) assistant coaches reached out to me by Twitter" and it took off from there. Now, "my skills are better, I have greater knowledge about the game and there's no question the quality of the competition made me better." One of his assignments all season was guarding the best player on the opposing team.

Not surprised with Emerson-Hardy's continued success, Vanden High Coach Michael Holloway is effusive in his praise, saying, "Takai is great young man and a great example of hard work, loyalty and someone who is willing to chase his dream by any means. His hard work and determination has led him to this point, in addition to being a great student. He’s a winner and will bring a winning mentality to the University of Idaho."

About playing for Coach Pribble, Emerson-Hardy succinctly explained, "he's down to earth and I want him on me everyday, getting me better."

Emerson-Hardy specifically offered thanks to "my Mom Tameka for being on me in middle school and high school, bringing me discipline, Coach Holloway, Joey Fuca (of Lakeshow fame) and Sunrise Christian Coach Kyle Lindsted."

2022-23 Video of Emerson-Hardy

mixtape of Emerson-Hardy's Vanden High senior season

No comments:

Post a Comment