Austin Ito Is a Menlo Guy

When a basketball talent is told by a head coach that "You're our kind of guy" and "you fit our program," it's hard to resist such feel good phrases. The appeal reaches both the head and heart. These and other positives were enough for 6-2 Woodcreek High and Rose City Basketball guard Austin Ito and he recently committed to Menlo College Coach Brendan Rooney.

His primary reasons for heading to the Oaks? "Definitely Coach Rooney, he has a great program going on there. Plus, I know Kaito" (Williams, a 6-foot-1 Menlo guard out of Sheldon High who is also from the Sacramento area.) On his visit, "the guys greeted me and we hung out in the dorms. It's family there. I heard from the coaches just after the high school season and tripped in January."

"I was super excited about my decision when I told my parents," he recalled. But "it was also a big relief and a weight off my shoulders," starkly illustrating the ying-and-yang of college recruiting for players.

Brandon White, head of Ito's Rose City Ballers AAU team, said, "I'm very proud of Austin, he's a special kid. His best basketball is in front of him and I look forward to watching him play next year."

Bringing to Menlo

What Ito will take to the Oaks program includes "definitely the ability to shoot and facilitating." Plus "I bring people together into a close family and I push teammates well, always in a positive way. I promote turning the page so that we can learn and have a better team."

Ito sports a 3.8 grade point average but acknowledges the work involved in that achievement. It involved "staying up late at night studying, early morning studying, with little to no sleep and staying in touch with my teachers to see how I'm doing." Also, "time management and setting priorities."

Besides that achievement, Ito earned Sacramento Bee All Metro honors while averaging 18.7 points per game. He went over 1,000 career points during his senior season.

Looking to major in business at Menlo, Ito explained the attraction. "I took a three-course class from Mr. Hayes, our former basketball coach, and I enjoyed the assignments, doing projects and slideshows. I prefer the marketing aspect and want to run a marketing agency."

now and then, "I'm planning on getting stronger and putting on weight." The the Menlo strength coach is already sending him workout material. "I'm also working on my next level moves with Rashid Cann, my trainer (Shine Athletics Player Development and Consulting) with a strong emphasis on ball screen action.

Ito leaves for Menlo on August 17, the beginning of a three-day orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment