Aidan Burke Returning to California

Aidan Burke is young in years but already mature and wise in his decision-making. In choosing a college to attend, he heavily weighed the academic strengths of his final two options, more so than even their athletic affiliations—the focus being on which school ultimately would be the best springboard into the world of work, not necessarily which possessed the highest level of basketball. Granted, that wasn't the sole component of Burke's attention but the foremost element. "Having a longer vision has always been the plan," he explained.

Burke chose UC San Diego over Swarthmore (PA). The former was established in 1960 and is considered one of the United States' public Ivies. The Tritons play in the D1 Big West Conference, finishing their transition up in 2024. 

Swarthmore is known as one of the Little Ivies. Founded in 1864, U.S.News and World Report ranks it as the third best liberal arts college in the nation. Lately, the basketball team has been in the running for several national championships.

Another Tough Decision

But Burke faced yet another critical decision coming out of Archbishop Mitty as a much-heralded hoops talent—should he head to college or play a season at a prep school? His honors while at Archbishop Mitty included West Catholic Athletic League 2022 Player of the Year, 2022 San Francisco Chronicle Peninsula Player of the Year, 3rd Team All-State, 1st Team All-State D-II plus four WCAL titles during his tenure. But the COVID pandemic reduced recruiting options and Burke chose to attend academically prestigious Phillips Exeter in New Hampshire, which offers a startling 5-1 student-to-instructor ratio. "My (prep school) decision reflected the large role I wanted academics to play," Burke explained.

How did that work out? "I wanted to get bigger and stronger plus Phillips Exeter allowed me to spend time in a new place and develop a more worldly view. Plus, living on campus provided the opportunity to focus on basketball." It wasn't like high school where driving back and forth between home and school eats up valuable time. Another attractive element being the year before Burke arrived, the Phillips Exeter basketball program enjoyed four players moving on to D1 scholarships.

Burke's Strengths

Asked what he will bring to the Triton program, Burke offered, "I take pride in my shooting and my defense." He is particularly proud of the disruptions he creates on the court with pass deflections. "It was stressed how important that was back in middle school. My overall defense got me on the court at Mitty during my sophomore year."

Burke sees himself as a leader on the court. "I definitely play a leadership role. I'm positive on the court and also lead by example. You have to talk with your teammates to figure out what works."

His best basketball moments? "Definitely, the rivalry games at Mitty with Bellarmine and Riordan, and winning the championships."

Four of his coaches in particular stand out for Burke. "When I was in fifth grade, Ruben Luna and my parents talked and I began working out with him. I still work out with him when I get back home. He has so much knowledge about footwork and the little details."

"I was the youngest guy on Mitty Coach Tim Kennedy's team and it was critical for me to see what it takes to succeed. I worked my way up and started as a junior."

"Ruben asked Justin Joyner if I could come in and start practicing with Justin's AAU team and, with Justin, my defense really picked up."

"David (D-Mo) Moore was my first ever AAU coach and I played three years for him. He now does very detailed skill development with players."

Burke participated in multiple sports growing up -- football, soccer, baseball and basketball. His mother wasn't keen on his being on the gridiron and "it never resonated" with him anyway. Ultimately, the choice came down to basketball and baseball and the latter was "too slow-paced."

"I'd like to thank my parents and my three younger siblings. My parents have supported me a lot through the process as well as guided me to balance both academic and athletics when looking into different schools and helping me come to my decision."

Burke will be majoring in Economics.

No comments:

Post a Comment