Kyle Winters Returning to West Coast

6-foot-4 Kyle Winters reversed the Horace Greeley-credited exhortation "go west, young man" in seeking his basketball fortune and now the former Marin Catholic High star is headed to Siena College, a private Franciscan college located in New York.

Named the Marin Independent Journal Player of the Year two seasons ago, Winters decided to take a prep year and first enroll at New Hampton School located in New Hampshire. "On a tour, I learned I could come in and play right away, making an immediate impact. I was also impressed by the coaches."

The lifelong Marin-ite did have to adjust to the weather. "This winter was cold with snow and below zero temperatures but basketball is played inside," he cheerfully noted.

A Mutual Attraction

Across the state line but just 190 miles away, the Siena College basketball coaches took notice of Winters at New Hampton which finished 22-11 on the season

And why wouldn't they? As Winters self describes, "I'm able to shoot, both off the dribble and with the catch-and-shoot, I'm reliable mid-range to beyond the three-point line and I take pride at the defensive end." He calls himself a combo guard, able to contribute as a shooting guard and at the point.

Winters visited Siena "a few weeks ago," meeting the coaches and players and touring the campus. Afterwards, he accepted the offer to walk-on to the basketball team. "I felt welcomed and wanted," he explained. "Walk-ons are included in everything. My job will be to bring energy and play as hard as possible. Minutes will have to be earned." His hope is to earn a scholarship for his second season.

Leadership

A captain of his Marin Catholic squad, Winters also captained this season's New Hampton team, an honor voted on by the players. "I'm a leader, for sure by example, but I talk a lot on the court, especially on defense. I also perform every drill in practice full blast."

Winters thanked "my very supportive parents and all my coaches, trainers and teachers, including Marin Catholic Coach Mike Saia, my trainer Daryl Jones who helped with my body, and my brother Brendan Winters, who is currently an assistant at Dominican University."

He'll be back home soon for a month or so before heading to a Siena training camp in June.

Highlights of Winters at New Hampton...

No comments:

Post a Comment