Donovan Cooks Staying in the Bay

6-foot-1 Donovan Cooks of Dublin High wins in the classroom (a 3.67 grade point average) and is successful on the court (18-12 this season, 7-2 in the East Bay Athletic League. Now he's taking these elements to San Francisco State University and Coach Vince Inglima.

Cooks offered a trio of reasons for his decision to go with the Gators. "I developed a bond with the coaches, it was the right fit for me and I was their #1 option."

He traveled from the East Bay to the San Francisco State University campus located in the southwest part of San Francisco on an official visit in March, touring the campus and meeting the team. His decision came "a little afterwards when I got together with my family and decided."

Cooks' Strengths

As Dublin High Coach Tom Costello wrote about his team leader in a January tweet: "Worker. Leader. Winner! This kid just puts his head down and works! Does whatever it takes in weight room, in the classroom, in the locker room, and on the hard wood..."

Performing self analysis on his skills set, Cooks offered the following as his best skills: "I'm a very good shooter and I make my teammates better with my passing by getting them involved. I like to watch film and I can actually see plays before they actually take place."

Additionally, "my leadership, for sure. I do that both by being vocal and by example. Every team needs leaders and I grew into it."

Regarding his influences, Cooks cited "my Dad was my first coach and he introduced me to the game and showed me how to play. Guard Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns is another and Tom Costello, my Dublin coach. I've been going to his camps for years and we've developed a much deeper relationship than just over the game of basketball."

Most Memorable Moments

He noted two best moments in hoops, one from early on and the other a more broader component. "My first game-winning shot came in third grade. It was a rush of excitement and I also got an ice cream on the way home as a reward." The other being "all the bonds I've created from playing basketball."

Cook participated in just about every sport while growing up but "baseball was a bit slow and my Mom didn't like me getting hit in football." Thus, basketball came to the fore.

He knew in eighth grade that a college basketball scholarship would be forthcoming because "I was playing well against top teams and players at the time."

Three individuals in particular received Cooks' thanks for their assistance during his journey. "Definitely my Dad and my Mom -- my Mom sacrificed so much for me and she is the rock of our family." Also, "Stevie Johnson who has been my trainer since eighth grade."

Cooks will major in business management at San Francisco State University.

No comments:

Post a Comment