For Avery Sanchez Competing Is Oxygen

Avery Sanchez displays an all-around game

"I love the competitive nature of getting better" and "I never ask a teammate to do something I'm not doing myself."

As for the initial quote, 6-foot-2 Avery Sanchez'scompetitive drive to better himself proportionately rivals that displayed by the late Kobe Bryant. Such may sound like an improbable stretch, writing up a high school talent (Pitman High) in the same  sentence as an NBA legend, but talk with Sanchez, then better yet, watch him practice and play. He loves the process of bettering his skills set as much as the game itself. To compete is not just to live but to thrive.

With an older sister roaming the soccer field on scholarship at Oregon State University and both of his parents having played basketball at Stanislaus State, Sanchez is a member of a family that has both enjoyed and gained from sports competition.

Leadership is another standout element in Sanchez's game. "I'm a very vocal player and I thrive on taking charges and diving on the ground for loose balls." He benefited from learning early on as a freshman what his high school coach (Harvey Marable) expected of players in his program and how to achieve those goals.

Sanchez competes to the very last second

Beyond being a beneficial court leader, Sanchez offered "I shoot the ball and pass really well, see the floor well, and do the gritty stuff that wins games." Both by watching a lot of film and starting out playing with older guys (which required he pass more than shoot), his court vision grew better and better.

Sanchez started out playing four sports (basketball, football, soccer and baseball) but by seventh grade, "I started weeding out sports until only basketball was left."

Sanchez puts the ball in the basket or gets it into his teammates hands

Asked if some overlook him since he plays for a school located in Turlock, a suburb of Modesto, Sanchez said, "a little bit but it's not something I worry about." His personal philosophy when playing basketball is to do what is needed. "I go into any game and adapt to it, doing whatever it takes to win. I try and fill the gap."

Regarding influences in his basketball journey to date, Sanchez cited both of his parents who also coached after their playing days, plus "Coach Marable who has provided immeasurable help on and off the court. He has an amazingly high basketball IQ."

Sanchez looks like a choirboy but battles like a demon

Sanchez has no geographical preferences vis-a-vis recruiting. He has taken an unofficial visit as well as camped with San Jose State University, a member of the Mountain West Conference.

This following personal anecdote depicts a very youthful Sanchez exuding confidence. "I was young and playing against my Dad and I really thought I could beat him one-on-one." Nowadays, the confidence remains unaltered and such a pairing just might have a different finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment