Drew Fischer Is His Own Point Guard Prototype

6-foot, 175 pound Sacramento City College sophomore Drew Fischer is not your average point guard. In today's hoops world where ones or points are now expected to be prolific shooter/scorers, he has created his own prototype. Specifically it means an astounding 8.8 rebounds a contest, a number off the charts for someone measuring 72 inches. He has also provided a superlative state-leading 206 assists versus just 57 turnovers. Add in 74 steals in 26 games along around eight plus points per game, 46%, 37% and 60% shooting and there you have his numerical summary.

Here's Fischer describing how he created and goes about performing his craft. "I'm more of a traditional point guard, a throwback, because I'm not a scorer first. My plan is to get my teammates the best look with the ball. I try to get in gaps and use sealing and my strength."

His rebounding prowess (although his numbers indicate more than that description, more like expertise or mastery) has its own back story. "In my sophomore year in high school, I was small and not strong. So I learned how to read the ball, where it's going to go if it doesn't go in the basket. I learned this by paying attention when I was playing all day, every day." Fischer has since added strength by lifting weights which has made his board work even more formidable.

Top Skills

Asked to detail his best basketball skills, Fischer first offered, "my IQ, it's my best skill. Second is my playmaking and passing. Third is playing to win, meaning doing what gives us the best chance of winning." It's like Fischer has a super computer continually running in his cerebral cortex, minus any negative emotions, just focused on what wins basketball games.

Fischer's journey to basketball and Sacramento City College is a curious one. "I played baseball up to the seventh grade -- it wasn't basketball playing for me, at least not first. But I liked basketball more when I was growing up. When I got to Liberty Ranch High, my friends were playing basketball. I joined them and was the youngest. I learned how to play more physical. I liked the Columbia (College) coach, he was a nice guy (Rob Hoyt) and that the school had dorms. But I committed to Sac City on March 23 of my senior year and moved to Sacramento in June after graduation." Sac City offered an open gym and that dovetailed with someone intent on bettering his body and strength in preparation for college level opposition.

Evolving Leadership

Regarding the trait of leadership, Fischer offered, "I would say I'm a leader as I'm one of the more vocal players on our team but I also lead by example. You have to be a leader at my position -- it's needed at my position. But I matured a lot more in the delivery of my message so that things I say have credibility."

Drew Fischer—Sac City Sophomore PG 6' 175 lbs

Fischer noted a pair of best basketball moments, both involving the same opponent. "Beating (rival) Cosumnes River College at home in January was a fun game. It was electric, with the score going back and forth. We were down late by three or four points but won 90-83 in overtime." Fischer went for a triple double consisting of 13 points, 11 assists and 10 boards. "Then last Tuesday at CRC, we won again with AJ (guard Andrew Ferrara-Jones) scoring 36 points (including seven treys)." Down by seven at the half, Sac City came back and won 78-72. Fischer's line: six rebounds, five steals,four points and four assists.

Three Influences

As for basketball influences, Fisher cited a trio, two coaches and a player. "Mark Martinez, my AAU coach and the father of Gavin Martinez who is a freshman on our team this season, stressed doing the right play every time. The message obviously sunk in. His second influence is "guard Greg Milton, a big part of my journey. He played at Sacramento City College as a freshman (earning all-conference honors) before transferring to Wyoming. I always had to guard him and learned I couldn't afford to make mistakes." Fischer also lauded Brian Chavez, his coach at Liberty Ranch High, for his assistance in bettering his game.

As for academics, Fischer sounded a familiar note. "I get things done, my assignments are turned in on time and I pass my classes." He is looking to major in business and entrepreneurship at the four-year level with a desire to work in real estate.

So what's not to like of someone determined to maximize his potential and make his teammates more effective?

No comments:

Post a Comment