Kellen Hampton Is Back For One Last Ride

There's an old saying known by many that goes "You can never go home again," adopted from the title of a 1940 Thomas Wolfe novel. Kellen Hampton spent his junior year at the Southern California Academy honing his basketball skills but has now returned and is playing for both Moreau Catholic High and Team Lilliard this summer. His absence from the East Bay proved to be relatively brief and he is living proof the adage is incorrect in his particular case.

The 6-foot-7 Hampton, best suited for playing as a big wing, self describes his skills set as "capable of shooting the three ball, really good at medium range, a good dribbler for my size and improved on the defensive end." His year in Los Angeles allowed him to "try out playing a national schedule" and thus go up against a number of nationally rated teams and individual opponents, including practicing everyday against talented teammates who were also receiving recruiting offers.

But the siren call of home grew louder and more persistent, specifically the lure of high school social events. Hampton mentioned his desire for "attending prom and homecoming" plus "being back playing ball with my friends" weighting his decision in favor of returning to the East Bay. It's important to him to have more East Bay memories since he may not be playing college basketball in the Bay Area or even California for that matter.

Kellen Hampton-Oakland Rebels 2019 Summer Mixtape

Hampton's foray into playing sports began with the usual attempts. But many just "didn't connect" with him. However, an older brother was really into basketball and Hampton tagged along with him, meaning long days in the gym. Soon, Hampton was hooked. That combined with some golden words "from my Dad and Mom to be my best on and off the court. That installed a work ethic in me at a young age."

He noted a pair of best basketball moments. On his 10-and-under AAU team, "I finished with six treys and 23 points but very late in the game, my opponent buried a trey right in my face to put his team up by two. With seven seconds left on the clock, a teammate passed to me and I hit my last (sixth) three-pointer."

Then "in my sophomore year (at Moreau), we played Folsom High and it was looking bad for me as I was stuck on four points for a long time. What made it worse was Oregon State and California coaches watching from the stands. But me and senior teammate LeBrie Goudy-Lee (now playing club basketball at Michigan State) kept working hard and I finished with 32 points."

He sports offers from California, Arizona State, San Jose State University, St. John’s, Creighton, Mississippi State and Washington State and is in the midst of the crucial and critical recruiting period of the summer between his junior and senior years when present offers either become cemented or fade while new invites appear.

5TH grader Kellen Hampton dominates inside

In checking in about leadership, Hampton offered, "I can get a little quiet but I really try to pick up any struggling teammates."

Asked about his college major, Hampton said, "I have an idea, something involving computers."

Hampton closed by offering thanks "first to my Mom and Dad, then Coach Deshaun Freeman who picked me up from school every day from second grade to sixth grade and worked with me, Coach Kevin Bell (who enjoyed a stellar career as a point guard while at Fresno State) and Coach Roy who was the first AAU coach who allowed me to play on the wing."

One other piece of advice from his Dad still resonates with Hampton. "Use the game of basketball, don't let basketball use you." Father knows best. Son carries it forward.

The silky smooth wing, with a game that can carry his teams, is entertaining multiple offers. Ultimately, Hampton's decision and his reasoning will be fascinating and buoy the hopes of whichever program he chooses.