Nebiyu Teklemariam Heading to the Bay

"I feel like I'm a basketball junkie." So said Nebiyu Teklemariam, known as 'Neb," a 6-foot-6 Ohlone College sophomore who very early in his sporting life became basketball's gain and soccer's loss.

"I was forced into playing basketball," he said. "My first sport was soccer and I started playing soccer at three years old for a youth soccer club called Selam Soccer. It was a club for a lot of Eritrean and Ethiopian kids. But in 4th grade, my Mom put me into an Alameda Youth Basketball (AYB) league. So, I was going to try basketball and try to have fun with it." Teklemariam developed a sweet tooth of sorts for  the orange roundball. " The more I played I realized how much better I was getting, I wanted to see how good I could be. It makes you want to keep testing your limits and challenge yourself.”

“I spend a lot of time watching the game, my friends and family will tell you I could talk basketball for hours. I love everything about the game, the ups and downs, wins and losses, workouts, conditioning, the sound of the ball bouncing in the gym, every little detail.”

In those community college gyms this season, Teklemariam provided Ohlone 11.2 points a game on 42% overall shooting and 39% shooting from long distance respectively, plus 4.5 rebounds a contest.

Insight From Ohlone College Coach Lee

Ohlone Coach Jordan Lee provided this insight on his sophomore: "Neb is one of the most passionate players I’ve had the pleasure of coaching.brings a fire with him everyday and brightens those around him. He is an incredible learner and student of the game and watches a ton of film on his own. Neb has a hunger to his approach that you can’t teach, and it has had an infectious impact on the team. CSU Monterey Bay got a really good one."

His production as well as his energy and versatility on the floor provoked the interest of Cal State University Monterey Bay coaching staff. After a period of talking and texting, Teklemariam visited the school and soon after answered in the affirmative to an offer.

Why so? "It's a great fit for me as a person and player being a smaller school, close to home, and I feel like we can build something special." Other selling points: "being near the beach and the access to nature."I took a campus tour after the end of our season and I really enjoyed it". While there, the 

basketball coaching staff proved very attentive, checking in often with Teklemariam. He also liked the playing style employed by Coach Williams.

What CSUMB Fans Will See

So what will he be bringing to his new court home come September? "I'll show great versatility on both sides of the court, especially my defensive ability to guard and shoot the ball. I play with a lot of passion and intensity and I showcase that everytime I play."

What's fascinating is that Teklemariam almost didn't decide to attend Ohlone College. But a pair of factors worked in favor of the Fremont-based school.

"I wasn't even considering Ohlone at first," Teklemariam admitted. "They went 2-25 the year before. I wanted to play on a winning team so I was headed to another school in the same conference. But I gave Ohlone a shot because my AAU coach -- Coach Marcus Norman -- said to give Ohlone a chance. I did and (Coach) Jordan Lee's passion for the game and his energy really impressed me. It’s funny because Coach Lee lived across the street from my cousin’s house and every Sunday he would see us play basketball in the front yard since I was a kid, it’s crazy how he would eventually coach me. He had a step by step plan for me and his ability to break my game down and tell me things I needed to work on to achieve my goals surprised me. Also his ability to hold his players accountable, he treats every player like a pro and he demanded that I bring it everyday."

Teklemariam's primary goals for this coming season include " showing up to work every single day and being a great teammate. I want to bring the energy everyday and focus on sharpening my skills day by day. Lastly, just coming in with a positive attitude and building chemistry with my teammates. The foundation of any type of success, both team and individual, starts with that.”

In thanking those who provided tutelage and assistance along the way in his basketball journey, Teklemariam said, " First, I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for allowing me to play the game I love. My mom and my little brother always supported and challenged me throughout my life. My mom especially, she’s a superwoman, never complains and she does everything for my brother and I. All my family and friends who continued to support me and demand excellence in all facets of life. The Alameda Boys and Girls Club, Mark, Nate, and James. And lastly, to all my coaches. It all began with Coach Miles and then Coach Preston. Coach Marcus Norman, my AAU coach, really helped me with my mentality and pushed me to play both sides. My high school coach, Coach (Don) Lippi (at  St.Joseph Notre Dame). He would work me out every morning before school, but most importantly he showed me how to have quality character and be a good person.”

As for his most current coaching staff (at Ohlone), Teklemariam offered he and Coach Jordan Lee have "matching high energy levels and a matching passion for the game plus he has shown that he truly cares about his players." Assistant Coach Nate Millheim "is someone who keeps you up when something isn't going well." Assistant Coach Terrance Broussard "gets on me by pointing out where I could have done better during a game."

“There are so many more people I could thank and they know who they are, but I’m really blessed to continue being a student athlete and play at the next level. As thankful as I am, I understand my journey isn’t finished and I’m really excited for the next two years at CSU Monterey Bay.”

Buoyant. High energy. Ardor. That defines Nebiyu Teklemariam's hoops life. Get ready Sea Otters and opponents.