Alvin Loving IV Selects the Yalie Route

Alvin Loving IV is headed to Yale University. It would be perfectly appropriate if the first line of this article could somehow be completed with fireworks bursting into the air but my computer has limitations.

Attending college changes lives. Attending Yale C-H-A-N-G-E-S lives as becoming part of the Yalie 'network' provides entry into high level internships and hirings involving many of power players in government, medicine, the arts, law and more.

Also consider this: the institutional authorities in New Haven, Connecticut are rather picky as these Ivy League guardians of the 'Yale gate' allow but 6% of those who apply to enter. Notable alumni include Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Dick Cheney and William Howard Taft to name but a few of the former Bulldogs.

Why head to New Haven? Loving replied, "the balance of high academics and the success of the basketball team." As for the latter, Coach James Jones is the all-time winningest men's basketball coach at Yale, earning six Big Dance appearances since 2016. He started in 1999 so his being in place during all four years of Loving's tenure seems likely.

How did Loving gain admission to this very particular institution? First and foremost, try a 3.94 grade point average at top level Salesian College Preparatory plus his accomplished talent on the basketball court as a 6-foot-4 guard. As he said in an earlier article, "...My shooting ability is among my best skills," Loving explained. "I'm known as a shooter. I have a good hoops IQ which is displayed in my decision-making. I'll go by opponents if they get up on me. The insights I've gathered from my various coaches and trainers has allowed me to know what I needed to do come high school..." He believes he will mainly be utilized as a shooting guard by Coach Jones.

The process of acceptance begins by "taking the SAT," Loving said. "Then you apply to the school and go through the admissions process." Loving visited Yale a few weeks ago.

Regarding the response of his parents to the news of his acceptance, Loving said, "they were really excited. They knew more about Yale than I did."

Uncertain of his major at this point, he offered Business as a possibility.

As for his goals prior to and through his final Salesian season, Loving offered, "I want to get stronger and we want to try and win Nor Cal and State (titles). But it's important for us to stay present and not jump too far ahead." He is also playing with his AAU squad, Team Lillard, this summer.

His goals once he hits New Haven are "to make shots, play hard and contribute to winning."