Jace Anderson Is Productive & Thankful

Anderson eyeballing his defender

"I have been very fortunate to have incredible coaches in this journey," said 6-foot-7, 2024 prospect Jace Anderson of Damonte Ranch High and the Rose City Ballers in graciously describing his many basketball coaches who have contributed to his skill advancement starting in the fifth grade.

With interest from Cal State East Bay, Dominican and an offer via Southern Oregon providing evidence of Anderson's well-rounded offensive and defensive arsenal, soccer generated his focus early on, with him plying his trade as a goalie.

But after playing rec league basketball for the Sierra Nevada Warriors where his dad was his first coach, Anderson became more interested in hoops and gave up soccer. "Being more focused on basketball, I sought out more competitive opportunities with Reno Elite, the Nevada Wolverines and Jam on it."

Anderson skying above the opposition

Measuring 5-foot-7 as an eighth grader, Anderson reached 6-foot-4 entering the ninth grade as a romance for basketball was blooming. "I fell in love with basketball." His father stands 6-foot-4, his mother measures 5-foot-10 plus there is a rumored 7-foot uncle on his father's side, so Anderson's height isn't all that surprising.

What is surprising is that he was of average height until he found out he had a broken nose (from playing soccer) that ended up stunting his growth and, after surgery, Anderson shot up and hasn't stopped since. But with the height came growing pains in many different ways including a pandemic, a fractured back, as well as a broken ankle that were all season ending.

Anderson shooting over his opponents

With such limited time on the court, Anderson has learned to cherish every minute he gets to play the sport he loves and make the most of the available opportunities. "I have been very fortunate to have great teammates and coaches including my mentor Ed Hawkins, who played a a critical role in helping me become the player I am today. Brandon White as well because he provided exposure to college coaches and the opportunity for me to play at a high level of competition with the Rose City Ballers."

About his best hoops assets, Anderson said, "I have great length and long arms so I'm versatile on the offensive end and I can also guard a smaller opponent. I can rebound and pass and also shoot the three. This season Anderson is averaging 16.5 points per game alongside 13.4 rebounds a contest. Attesting to the balance in his game, he is ranked ranked 44th in the nation for double doubles.

Anderson with a good look in the key

Additionally, "I definitely see myself as a leader. I've played on varsity since my sophomore year and we have very good chemistry. We talk things out if we have any problems."

Anderson's favorite basketball moment actually took place this season. "It's the environment I'm in, surrounded by a consistent will to win and a hatred of losing. Each of us are 100% all in. It's a brotherhood, just by playing with these guys and improving everyday."

As for his future college position, Anderson offered, "I'm not a post, not a five, more a three or a four."

He cited his father and mother as strong influences in his basketball growth. "My parents have been very involved and have pushed me in a good way to achieve. My Mom had multiple college offers (in basketball) coming out of Pleasant Valley High (Chico). My Dad, who played college football at Butte College, has dedicated himself to helping me. He'll get up early and rebound for me at the gym, and both have been very supportive. They are #1." Anderson also credits "my brother and my girlfriend —she plays college basketball at Dominican University" — for being important components in the surrounding group that provides him critical support.

An intense Anderson at the foul line

Anderson sports a sparkling 4.275 grade point average challenging himself with junior college classes. He graciously credits his instructors for "providing a lot of support." He'll be majoring in business finance with economics a possibility. "I want to work with money," he explained.

Anderson knows what he can do and stays within such a framework although he continuously works to hone his present skills while advancing with new ones. He is gracious about and thankful to those who have aided in his development and advancement. Anderson's ego is minimal and he 'gets' the 'one for all, all for one' team attitude that is critical to success. Any coach getting his services also won't have to worry for a moment about his academics. Thus, Anderson will carry multiple plusses to whichever college program lands him.

No comments:

Post a Comment