Andrew Ferrara-Jones Is a Marksman Extraordinare

Introducing Andrew Ferrara-Jones

6-foot-3 sophomore Andrew Ferrara-Jones of Sacramento City College didn't immediately become immersed in basketball despite his father being a coach of the sport. But now that he has done so, the bond between him and hoops is robust and he has utilized his access to a gym to continually develop and hone his skills. To this day, he and some teammates still hit the gym on the weekends and other times when available. Simply put, he has both welcomed and embraced the game.

Jones' nickname isn't trey but it might as well be. With excellent shooting form (it seems most of his made shots catch net only), just prior to the start of league play he ranked first in the state in made threes while shooting 45% on his long distance attempts. He is averaging 19.5 points per game for a 13-1 team.

"We have 24/7 access to a gym and I like to shoot six days a week," Ferrara-Jones explained. "Shooting is 90% a mindset and you have to believe every shot is going in (the basket). Shooting with arc is also critical. Improvement requires a lot of repetition."

Andrew Ferrara-Jones With a Right-Corner Jumper

When given the opportunity to present what he perceives are his best hoops skills, he began with "my three-point shooting and my overall scoring.Also, my rebounding has jumped from two per game last season to six this year. I think playing hard is also a skill and I do that when not many want to (do that)."

Prior to enrolling at Sacramento City College, Ferrara-Jones attended high school in the area. "I went to West Campus High, a D4 school, (a college prep magnet school), playing basketball in my sophomore and junior years. I had a big junior season." But Covid wiped out most of his senior schedule with West Campus posting a 1-4 record and the season starting in mid-May and concluding in early June. After graduation, he headed to Sac City and redshirted his initial season.

"I'm not a verbal leader, I do it more by example. I don't talk a lot," Ferrara-Jones explained. But his gym rat existence speaks volumes.

Andrew Ferrara-Jones Going for a Layup

His best basketball moment is plural, "winning twice at Santa Rosa Junior College this year and last. It's a difficult environment to play in and we are 2-0," he proudly proclaimed. Sacramento City won 85-82 in overtime this season with Ferrara-Jones providing a double-double consisting of 10 points plus 12 rebounds. Last season, it was a 70-66 victory, aided in part by a team high 22 points plus five boards from Ferrara-Jones.

Intriguingly, Ferrara-Jones started out as a baseball standout through middle school. Then basketball emerged as his favorite although he never played AAU ball. "I'm glad I didn't because I would have learned bad habits. Basketball is just a cooler sport but baseball actually translates well with basketball."

Andrew Ferrara Jones 2022-23 Freshman Video

Regarding influences, "definitely my Dad (Andrew Jones, who also played at Sac City) because we work on things and he has helped me get better. He is also good about when to step back and let me figure things out." Ferrara-Jones also noted two teammates, Drew Fischer and Leo Wagner, as his longtime extracurricular gym shooting buddies. Plus, his mother ran track at American River College and UC Davis and those genes come into play with the getting up-and-down the court in basketball.

Ferrara-Jones wants to remain in California at the next level. There are quite the number of D1 programs throughout northern and southern California with many who would benefit from having him come aboard. A high percentage three-point marksman is a rare and valuable commodity.

2 comments:

  1. Both dad and son are top notch people. I know. I played for the dad, Andrew and watched AJ grow up and just keep getting better. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I can't claim to be well-informed or knowledgeable about the nuances of college basketball, I can recognize dedication.
    This well-written piece showcases Ferrara-Jones as a stand-out athlete who figured out early on that discipline and dedication are hallmarks of a successful life. You go Ferrara-Jones. I'll be watching and cheering you on..

    ReplyDelete