Tyler Thompson to the Grizzlies

The University of Montana basketball coaching staff began reaching out to Tyler Thompson when the young baller was in the summer between his freshman and sophomore years at Vanden High. They were the first school to do so. 

The relationship remained steady and finally blossomed to fruition when the 6-foot-6 Thompson committed to Coach Travis DeCuire on September 4 after taking an official visit over the weekend of September 2 and 3. Montana initially extended an official offer on June 28.

Why Montana?

His reasons for signing on with the Grizzlies are multiple. "I chose Montana because it's a winning program and Coach Trav and the assistant coaches are good people. I also really like Missoula -- it feels like the Bay  Area in some ways. The people are great."

He added, "Montana plays like I prefer, getting up and down the court, with guys performing in different roles and positions." 

Thompson offered that among his skills are "being a three-way scorer (long distance, mid-range and at the rim. I also want to guard the best opponent. I take pride in that and also in making plays without having to score. 

Beating out a fellow West Coast Conference member is a critical victory for DeCuire as Montana and Coach Steve Lavin's San Diego Toreros were Thompson's final two choices.

The foremost positive of McCuire's landing of Thompson is the latter has the potential to be a major plus player for the Grizzlies. Sooner rather than later, Thompson will become Montana's leading scorer and make his teammates more effective because of the attention he will demand defenses.

Regarding leadership, Thompson said, "I am a leader on my high school team. That has helped me to develop my game to another level. Everyone has to stay in line and play their role. You have to offer praise or call some out, whatever is appropriate."

Asked to name his major basketball influences,Thompson offer his parents, various friends and other family members, his middle school, high school and AAU coaches plus John McCall, one of my biggest influences who has coached me since I was seven or eight." McCall played basketball at Solano Community College.

His best basketball moment came "in Vanden winning our section championship against rival Vacaville in our sophomore year."

A Former Footballer

Thompson offered "I used to play football as a running back and linebacker," wryly observing that the ranks of hoopsters are filled with former footballers attempting to reduce chances of incurring      serious injuries.

A plus is that family and friends will be able to catch Thompson in person when Montana comes to Sacramento State during conference play.

He's mulling over business and kinesiology as his major.

Thompson closed with "I've always developed five-year plans in order to reach my goals. What I did here is write down the steps I needed to take to in order to get to D1 basketball. Soon, I'll need to create a new five-year plan." 

That he will.

No comments:

Post a Comment