Aaron Kullar Plans Ahead

Aaron Kullar Makes the Call

At 6-foot-8, Aaron Kullar is still sprouting upwards, so credit UC Merced Coach Kevin Pham for sorting out and nabbing an early commitment from the Gridley High star. Kullar will play his senior high school season during 2023-24 year, and then move to the Central Valley to become a Bobcat. 

He is a trailblazer among his kin because he will be the first in his family to play basketball on scholarship at the four-year level. 

So why Merced, members of the NAIA California Pacific Conference? "We had a couple of visits and in-depth talks and it felt like home," Kullar explained. "I played as a stretch four in high school and that's where Coach Pham wants to position me."

Aaron Kullar Heading to the Basket

After Kullar's attendance at a UC Merced camp prior to his junior year, Pham began his recruitment of Kullar at the beginning of this summer.

Rose City Ballers Coach Brandon White speaks highly of his AAU protégé. "At 6-foot-8, Aaron can shoot the ball like a guard and is improving athletically. He’s going to do some really good things at Merced. They got a steal.”

A Former Two-Sport Star

Kullar also likely had a future in baseball, performing as a a pitcher and a first baseman. But that concluded after his sophomore year and 10 years of participation due to his baseball schedule interfering with AAU basketball.

He has two younger brothers, the oldest being 15-year-old Bikram, who also plays on the Gridley High varsity hoops squad. "We're super competitive, we push each other a lot. Every day we’re finding ways to turn everything into competition. At the end of the day I’m just pushing him to get better."

Academics, Leadership & Best Basketball Moments

Owner of a 3.82 grade point average while taking honors and advanced classes, Kullar also stands out as a leader. "A lot of players look up to me. I'm very vocal with positive high standards." As he detailed, "you can express your voice, but at the end of the day you have to show up and lead by example."

His best basketball moment took place last season in a 63-60 overtime road victory against Las Plumas High. "We had high expectations entering the season but we were struggling going into this game. It was their homecoming night and the gym was packed, but we played so connected as a team. That win sparked a whole different bond within our team, leading us to a seven-game win streak, even into the playoffs."

Kullar and His Parents

Influences

Asked to talk about the prominent influences in his life, Kullar noted his grandparents, having emigrated from India with nothing, and building a foundation for future generations. He also added  "my parents push me academically. My Dad (JT, a current Gridley High boys basketball assistant) taught me the basics of basketball and pushes me like no one else. He was my head coach in middle school. My Mom is my biggest supporter, and no one is louder than her in the crowd. They have supported my passion to play in college by taking me to a series of camps, games, tournaments, plus constant practices.”

He then spoke on his high school coach, Nathan Link. “Coach stepped in to the job when the program needed someone to guide us to a style of winning basketball. He's a great role model, the most prepared coach I've ever seen and I trust him like no other coach."

Brandon White also received deserved praise. "I appreciate him so much because he always goes above and beyond in reaching out to multiple college coaches with recruiting. He really cares and it shows."

In selecting a major, Kullar said, "Right now, two areas stand out: business and biology. I grew up on a farm, and around AG businesses, and I like being a negotiator and making deals. But I'm also interested in nutrition of the body."

Aaaron Kullar Bringing the Ball Up the Court

It has to take a load off the mind of a student-athlete by knowing which college he'll be attending a year hence, while also adding in familiarity due to the return of Coach Link. Kullar is poised enjoy his most productive season to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment