Milandev Chatha Scores, Defends & Leads

Chatha bring a well-rounded game to the court

6-foot-4, 220 Milandev Chatha of Skyline College started playing basketball in junior high, a tardier start than most in the world of roundball. But have a hoops conversation with him or watch his movement about on the court and he will amply demonstrate having learned so much in the years since his late initiation. He studies and thinks the game through. So much so that in his freshman year, his play and production this season netted him First Team All Conference, All Defensive Team and All Freshman Team honors in the Coast North Conference.

With three years of eligibility now remaining, Chatha's recruiting attractiveness is due to averaging 15.2 points per game on 53%, 37% and 72% shooting respectively alongside 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists, all in his first full season.

"Milandev has a great overall skill set," offered Skyline Coach Justin Piergrossi. "He plays physical and tough, while maximizing his abilities. He was a big part of our success this season."

"I started playing basketball in the seventh grade," Chatha explained. "That's because I always wanted to be a football player. But I fell in love with basketball." The gridiron's loss became the hardcourt's gain.

Chatha can bang with the best

Asked to detail his better basketball skills, Chatha said, "I'm really good at using my body and getting to my spots to my advantage offensively and defensively and I'm a triple threat with my driving, mid-range game and I'm working on my three ball. (To readers: note his 37% accuracy from long distance, a percentage many would welcome.) On defense, I bump opponents around. For a long time, I was told that my defense wasn't good enough so I knew I needed to make a change."

How did he accomplish that evolution? "I made it a point of guarding the best players in practice and at any other venue (I was playing at). Defense is really effort so I modified that. I also got smarter by watching film and understanding tendencies, using better footwork and pushing opponents out of the areas they want to maneuver."

What a heralded freshman season for Chatha

Regarding leadership, "I started off as definitely not a leader but I decided to learn from those who were good at it. So in my sophomore year in high school, I wasn't a captain and didn't see myself as a leader but I was the only one who was vocal. The challenge was to get the guys to hear me out. Every person listens differently and sometimes that requires teaching in a different way. I learned that from working with my little brother on basketball. If listening isn't happening, show your servant leadership. Model and do things that others don't want to do like mopping the floor or bringing out the basketballs (for practice)."

As for Chatha's best basketball moment, he explained, "I was definitely a scorer in high school, averaging 27-30 points a game but I found it's the most fun when we are working together (the five as one team concept). I believe you pass energy to teammates through passing them the ball. I know that helps me get into a flow state where I feel nobody can stop me."

His hoops influences begins with the late Kobe Bryant. "He inspired me and because of him, I put together a workout schedule lasting eight hours a day (during summer). Also, my little brother. He is a big inspiration who pushes me to be better." 6-foot-2 Aman Chatha attends rival College of San Mateo and redshirted this season due to an injury.

Chatha actually began his college basketball journey at San Jose City College. In the 2022-2023 school year, he participated in nine games before suffering a season-ending injury. Nine is the maximum allowed in order to still be eligible for medical redshirt status. In determining whether or not he wanted to return to San Jose or transfer to Skyline College for the next season, Chatha preferred the ethnic diversity of the Skyline squad and liked the passing style so he made the switch.

There's a focused intensity to Chatha's game

Seeing himself playing in the three spot at the next level, he sports a 3.9 grade point average and wants to major in mechanical engineering. "When I was younger, I was always handling stuff and building things."

Chatha wished to thank "my parents and my brother for being there for me" plus "Coach Arthur Jones who has worked with my development ever since I got started. He changed everything for me." Jones is currently the Player Development Director for the San Jose Spartans AAU team.

Production on the court, leadership on and off it, the desire and will to steadily improve his skills set plus three years of eligibility. That's a mighty enticing package.

No comments:

Post a Comment