Drew Fischer Stays in NorCal

If Cal Maritime Head Coach Colin Johnson needs tough on the court, he has it now plus more in 6-foot point guard Drew Fischer out of Sacramento City College and Liberty Ranch High. Fischer recently committed to Cal Maritime and will be heading to Vallejo come summer's end. Sure Fischer scored 7.0 points per game while shooting 44%, 36% and 60% overall, dished out 235 assists versus just 61 turnovers and nabbed 83 steals but he also finished second on his Panther team in rebounds with 235, an average of 7.8 a contest. That's an astounding number considering his size and position.

But ask Fischer about his top skills and the response is "my IQ, it's my best skill. Second is my playmaking and passing. Third is playing to win, meaning doing what gives us the best chance of winning. I try to play harder than anybody else and make winning plays."

Fischer is moving 60 miles south

So why his choice of the Keelhaulers? "It came down to Cal Maritime and one other school. A couple of people I know and trust spoke well about Coach Johnson and I went that way." Contact between the two started just a month ago and from an initial text an offer was eventually forthcoming and accepted. It didn't hurt that Cal Maritime was in need of a starting point.

What is Fischer expecting come the new season? "Definitely playing fast and pushing the ball, like with Sac City. Figuring out how to win. Those are the things I'm good at."

He will also be providing leadership to the Keelhauler crew. "It's getting everyone on the same page." As he said in an earlier interview, "I would say I'm a leader as I'm one of the more vocal players on our (Sacramento City College) team but I also lead by example. You have to be a leader at my position—it's needed at my position. But I've matured a lot more in the delivery of my message so that things I say have credibility."

Fischer grabbing, what else, a rebound

About his search for a new home, Fischer offered, "It's a relief to know where I'm going. I found it a little frustrating but not stressful.

Cal Maritime is a member of the California Pacific Conference which includes Simpson University (in Redding), Pacific Union (near St. Helena) and UC Merced, opponents requiring a relatively short drives for family and friends to watch Fischer play on the road. Of course, there are home games in Vallejo, an hour away from Sacramento.

Fischer will major in Business Administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment