Joaquin Aguillon Commits to Macalester

Joaquin Aguillon is a member of The Branson School's vaunted backcourt, a group that will carry the Bulls to success this season. It will be a continuation as Branson finished 28-4 last season, 15-1 in the Marin County League.

Aguillon's play caught the attention of the coaching staff at Macalester College, based in St. Paul, Minnesota. He visited the school in late September and eventually committed in November.

Why so? "My visit was amazing, hitting all the right spots," Aguillon said. "It was super good."

Aguillon on his Macalester official visit

So what will he be bringing to his new team? "Definitely an all-around player with a high IQ. I played four years on varsity and I can shoot, defend and run the offense."

Branson Head Coach Demetrius Roquemore offered "Joaquin possesses a versatile skill set that significantly contributes to The Branson School's success. His standout skills include a keen basketball IQ, a reliable scoring ability and athleticism making him a dynamic player on both ends of the court."

How did he develop his hoops acumen? "By playing pickup with different types of players. I started when I was seven years old as me and my Dad would go play pickup. Basketball was my first sport. It came natural to me and I was good at it."

Aguillon cited his father as a prominent influence in his rise in basketball. He also noted watching the unselfish play of the Golden State Warriors as well as "all my coaches in AAU and high school. I picked up stuff from all of them. I love watching basketball and playing it is even more fun."

He thanked my Dad, my Mom, my brother and my grandmother for aiding him in his basketball journey. "My grandmother is always the loudest person in the stands. I can hear her when I'm playing.

Academically, he sports a 3.63 grade point average even with Branson being a high academic school. "I'm good with time management, taking care of my school work so that I can play basketball."

Regarding leadership, "Yes, I'm definitely a leader. As a freshman, I was on the other side and I have learned our system plus how to talk to my teammates and give them words of encouragement." On this subject, Roquemore contributed "without a doubt, Joaquin is a natural leader on and off the court. His leadership manifests itself through his strong work ethic, vocal presence, and the way he consistently sets a positive example for his teammates. Whether it's during practices, games, or in the locker room, Joaquin's leadership is instrumental in fostering a cohesive and determined team environment."

Having experienced three coaches (Jonas Honick, Stevie Johnson and now Demetrius Roquemore) in his four years, the culture of the team has carried over despite the employment of some differences in styles and tactics.

Asked to recall his best basketball moment, Aguillon offered "winning the MCAL championship because we had lost the year before." Additionally, "in the NCS championship game, I returned from missing games due to an ankle injury and it was my first game back. I scored the first 11 points (including three threes)."

He sees himself as a combo guard at the next level because "I can shoot, run the offense and I'm a versatile defender." Roquemore added "Joaquin demonstrates the qualities of a versatile player, capable of handling the ball and orchestrating plays as a point guard while also showcasing scoring prowess that aligns with the shooting guard position. His ability to seamlessly transition between these roles makes him a valuable combo guard for Branson."

Roquemore also noted "Joaquin has not only met but exceeded my expectations. His continuous growth, dedication to improvement, and ability to elevate his performance in crucial moments have surpassed initial expectations. Joaquin's commitment to excellence has undoubtedly had a positive impact on our team's overall success."

Now the Macalester challenge awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment