Zander Jimenez for the Defense

2024 6-foot-3 prospect Zander Jimenez of Salesian Prep already does multiple things well in his young life -- two things exceptionally so, even though his major pair of accomplishments are shied away from by most due to the effort involved and difficulty of achieving each. First, he is an elite defender on the basketball court -- how many high school guards, we're not talking bigs here -- ever achieve such a rating? Second, he sports a 4.57 grade point average while taking advanced placement classes.

Regarding the former, Jimenez began defending the best opposing offensive player since middle school. "I love to pressure full court and use my body a lot ," Jimenez explained. "My defensive intensity turns from me being a pest to visible annoyance and frustration on my opponent's part. Even when I play with friends, nobody wants me guarding them." He possesses a combination of a high motor, physical aggressiveness and superb lateral speed. Add in solid techniques as he remains in good defensive position staying with his opponent all the way down the court.

Family Influences


As for his extraordinary academic prowess, Jimenez said, "I've always enjoyed learning so I'm taking every class I can. My Mom stresses strong academics and tells me I've done a good job afterwards. She has always supported me and makes sure i keep a balance." Noting the difficulty of being an ace in the classroom while also playing a school sport, Jimenez offered, "I'm really focused with my time and attention because it's a lot to juggle." Jimenez possesses an offer from Oberlin College in Ohio and he attended team camps this summer at Howard University, Brown University, Dartmouth College and Cornell University.

Juan Jimenez, his father, is a former linebacker at California in the 1990s who now coaches AAU track and is lauded by his son as an important factor in pushing his son towards success.

Other influential figures in the life of Jimenez include his cousins Mariya Moore and Minyon Moore. Mariya went to Louisville then transferred to USC while Minyon started at USC and then transferred to Oregon. "I was at their games watching and learning. Their dad is Errol Moore and he coached his daughters when they played AAU. He played baseball when he was younger. His being there for be was was important." Plus, Jimenez also lauded Coach Bryan Thomasson of his Work Hard Play Hard AAU travel team "for pushing my to be my best on and off the court. He believed in me."

Improvements


The younger Jimenez worked on his long-distance shooting this spring and summer, acquiring that status of being a knockdown three-point shooter. "I really worked on that, taking up to 1,000 shots a day in the gym." He also possesses a 34.5 inch standing vertical.


Regarding leadership, he said, "I'm a very competitive person and I'll use my words in getting on teammates when the effort isn't there but I also lead by example."

Best Memories


Three hoop memories stand out the most for him. "Beating Harvard-Westlake (one of the premiere southern California high school teams) this summer" (Jimenez buried four free throws in the last 1:21 to secure the victory in the championship game of the first annual Cali Live tournament), "taking down San Ramon Valley High two years ago (49-47) to win the NCS as the stands were packed and it was fever-pitched" and "winning against Pinole Valley High last January. We know each other well and there was a lot of talking back and forth."


Jimenez sees himself as a combo guard collegiately but is most attracted to being in the thick of the action offensively and defensively at the point.

The size and athletic ability are there, his academics are amazing as is his defensive effectiveness, and his improved shooting range will be on display this winter. Can a school, local, regional or elsewhere, lure him away from his high academic suitors? As always, speculation will flourish but only time and Jimenez will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment